Monday, February 10, 2014

Mouse Hunt!

The heroine of the story

We had some excitement before school this morning. Laura came into the kitchen in her nightgown and said, "I saw a mouse in my room." Her eyes were full of tears. "Oh, no!" I said, as one who interprets a mouse in the house as condemnation of my housekeeping. I take it personally. "Let's put the cat in there." I carried Cupcake (her real name, by the way) upstairs and set her down in Caroline and Laura's room. I urged Caroline to get her clothes and come downstairs with us.

A few minutes later, I went back up and saw that Cupcake was seriously on the hunt. She scampered and pounced, and a gray mouse ran for its life. She caught the mouse and batted it around a bit, as cats will do. I left Cupcake alone with her prey knowing that she would soon dispatch that nasty beast. 

I went back again later to collect the remains, but Cupcake and the corpse were not there. Uh oh. That can't be good. Paul inspected the room and didn't find either the cat or the mouse. We got the kids off to school and went to work, wondering when and where we would stumble upon a dead mouse. 

I still haven't found it even after picking up the girls' room. I'm not sure if the mouse got away or if Cupcake put it somewhere. I'll let you know if we have any new developments in the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment