Saturday, August 16, 2014

What's In a Name?

We recently added this little guy to our family:

Photo: New family member.

The girls had been planning to buy hamsters for many months, but over time, they agreed to pool their money and share one. That way, they wouldn't have to spend so much. Clever, eh? Anyway, we brought this baby home last week. I think he's super cute.

He was nameless for a few days. It's hard to settle on a handle when you're sharing a pet--everyone has to agree. I tried to help. I suggested, "Hey, he's a Russian hamster. How 'bout a Russian name--like Ivan or something?" 

"NOOOOO!" They didn't like that idea.

"Okay," I tried again, "He's a dwarf hamster, so what if we named him after one of the Seven Dwarfs? We could call him Happy."

"NOOOO!" They didn't like that either.

"I think these are great names," I said.

"They are great names," Juliet answered, "but they're not great enough."

Laura chimed in, "I want to call him Mr. Fluffet." I thought that was adorable, but we still didn't have consensus. Juliet thought that he couldn't be a mister since he is still just a baby. 

Finally, a friend suggested we call him Pip, and everyone got on board. I like it because it is a little name for a little guy. It also appeals to me since it's a literary name.

Now our task is making sure the cat doesn't try to eat him. 



No comments:

Post a Comment